Re: [ecasound] preparing for release: 2.4.7pre1_2.5.0

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 19:42:09 EEST

Hi,

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Julien Claassen wrote:

> I'm just compiling the snapshot. But a question, plea for feature extension:
> Could you increase the functionality of the loop audio op. Probably like this:
> -i:loop,file.wav,star_time,end_time-or-duration,optional_release
> so I could loop my file from second 10 to second 20 (a 10sec loop time), but

you can do that already with stacking:

-i:audioloop,select,file.wav,start_time,duration

> so I could ask ecasound to give some release-time less than looping-time of
> course. This would be nice for working with real and practical
> audio/drum-loops with some sustain or directly recorded reverb

Now this is trickier. To be really useful, you'd need to be able to adjust
the loop point in real-time, and that's just not yet possible with
ecasound (you can't pass parameter changes to audio objects). So in
practise you probably get better results (and faster) by creating the
loops in some other program, and then using the loop with ecasound's
'audioloop'.

And if you don't need to real-time control over the loop point, you could
just as well do:

# select 10secs of foo.wav at pos 15sec, add a 0.5sec fade-out to it,
# and play it out looped
sh> ecasound -i select,15,10,foo.wav -ea:100 -kl2:1,100,0,9.5,0.5 -o loop.wav -x && ecasound -i audioloop,loop.wav -o alsa

... that a single command you can adjust, one test run at a time, until
the loop sounds correct. And you can use more complicated fades if you
need to (with -klg for instance).