Re: [ecasound] scripting plus jack

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 12 2008 - 14:30:02 EET

Hi,

sorry for the _very_ late response.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Julien Claassen wrote:

> I narrowed down my problem. If I started:
> ecasound --daemon &
> and then loaded a chainsetup via cs-load and want to use jack_connect it
> tells me:
> cannot connect ports.

Communication towards JACK is activated only when the engine is launched.
You can do this with "engine-launch". So in other words:

connecting a chainsetup (cs-connect)
   -> reserves resources (opens files, soundcards, etc)
launching the engine
   -> starts the real-time (potentially SCHED_FIFO) thread that
      "executes" a chainsetup

The reverse applies for 'cs-disconnect' and 'engine-halt'.

This is somewhat untuitive, but is the only way to comply with JACK's
requirements for clients: 1) client can make connections only when it's
activated, and 2) client must be ready for processing callbacks to be
activated.

PS I'll update the ecasound-iam(1) man page with this info
    for the next release.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv