[ecasound] Smooth on-the-fly volume control?

From: textchimp <textchimp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 04:11:23 EEST

Hi,

I'm using ecasound v2.4.6.1 (on Ubuntu Feisty 7.0.4) to pipe audio from a
USB radio device into the Jack server. I'm also using the '-ea:nn' option to
change the volume of the radio stream, but in order to change the volume on
the fly (in interactive mode) I seem to have to use the two commands
'c-clear' and then 'cs-option -ea:nn', and these commands disconnect the
chainsetup and stop processing, causing gaps in the audio.

My question is, is there any way to modify the '-ea' value (or otherwise
change the volume/gain of the stream) on the fly without interrupting the
audio?

It also seems worth pointing out that I'm having trouble using the
daemon-mode of ecasound - I can send commands to the ecasound server via
telnet but sooner or later a command (one of the two I mentioned above) will
cause the server to start maxing out the CPU, and the only way to stop it is
to kill the server process. I'm not sure if this is something the developers
are already aware of. Maybe it would be a useful feature to be able to
define a file or files which ecasound could poll for changes and read
parameter values from, to allow them to be changed on the fly?

Anyway, any help with this issue would be appreciated. Ecasound is a cool
piece of software.

-Luke