Re: [ecasound] Ecasound broken on FreeBSD CURRENT

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 24 2007 - 01:02:32 EEST

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Raoul wrote:

> We have a problem running ecasound on FreeBSD CURRENT (7.0).
> I tried on a laptop, and a desktop, with two different interfaces,
> (& two drivers).

hmm, it would seem something odd is happening with the OSS interface.
Can anyone else with FreeBSD 7.0 verify this problem?

> 2. Ecasound does not play anything.
> the dsp is detected as OSS card, but no sound is produced.

And I think that it's no

> ecasound -C -i:so52.cdr -ddd -o:/dev/dsp0

Hmm, you could try passing "-z:nodb" to ecasound (disabled disk i/o
buffering) and see if that helps.

> (audioio-db-server) Using idle timeout of 225000000 nsecs.
> (audioio-db-server) wait_for_client_activity failed
> (eca-engine) i/o buffers prefilled.
> (eca-engine) prefilling rt-outputs with 7 blocks.
> (eca-engine) starting engine operation!
> (audioio-oss) (audioio-oss) Audio device "/dev/dsp0" started.
> (audioio-db-client) WARNING: Underrun in reading from "alain/so52.cdr". Trying to recover.

Hmm, if "-z:nodb" helps to your problem, then it might not be FreeBSD OSS
causing the problems after all, but instead something goes wrong in the
disk i/o subsystem. The above errors indicate that the disk i/o buffers
have run out of data. As the buffer are very larger (multiple seconds
worth of audio), this should never happen in normal circumstances. And the
fact that..

> (audioio-db-client) There were total 4140 xruns.

... you got this many xruns from disk i/o, means that it's not working at
all.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv