Re: [ecasound] Ecasound LADSPA parameters floating-point parameters rounded to integer.

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 12 2007 - 15:54:15 EEST

Hi,

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Rémi R wrote:

> My command line line is :
> ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i alsahw,0,0 -eli:1913,0,-2.3,0.9 -o stdout -x
> -ddd|/usr/bin/ices2 /etc/ices.xml

I suspect this is a locale issue. You are probably using a locale (French
I presume) where comma (,) is used as a decimal separator, not period (.).
Normally this doesn't confuse ecasound (POSIX locale is used), but when
using localized LADSPA plugins (or other dynamically loaded code which
calls setlocale()), situation changes and many things will break as
ecasound relies on locale-aware system functions to do the string-to-float
conversions. And of course, due to ecasound's option syntax, using commas
for decimals is just not possible (as commas are used to separate operator
parameters).

For example all the LADSPA plugins from swh-plugins are localized and
call setlocale(). I'll add Steve to the cc-list. I'm not entirely sure how
polite it is to modify the locale in plugins/libraries, as the client
application might want to use a specific locale and will be surprised when
dynamically loaded code changes process wide settings. Steve, any
comments...? :)

As a quick fix, you can launch ecasound with:

LC_NUMERIC=POSIX ecasound -i foo.wav ...

.. and the problem should be gone.

Hmm, but this should really be fixed in future Ecasound releases. I now
committed a patch to CVS that forces the locale to POSIX in functions that
parse ecasound option syntax. This adds some overhead, but is probably
worth it to to avoid these problems. This patch will be in the 2.4.6
release.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv