Re: [ecasound] multichannel confusion

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 10:38:30 EEST

Hi,

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, plutek@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> ok, that works. it just seems counter-intuitive that chcopy is a mix
> operation with a default of averaging a signal and null, in this sort of
> situation. however, i guess if one was chcopying a number of channels to
> one destination channel, that would be necessary.

that's very true. But unfortunately as a) ecasound doesn't select the
mixing mechanism by looking at the asked configuration, b) averaging was
the only mode for a long time and is still the default, this is now the
case. And due to backward compatibility (not messing anyone's old
sessions), it's hard to change the default behaviour.

Maybe we can change this was ecasound 3.0.0. ;)

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv