Re: [ecasound] ecasound+jack silent stop, silent data loss

From: Paul Knowles <Paul.Knowles@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 23 2007 - 17:21:01 EET

Hello,

>sorry for the (probably too) late response.

But still very appreciated, and even useful.

>> Nope, spoke too soon. After analysis, the data loss is
>> still there, It seems to be only one sample at most, not a
>> whole buffer. With the notransport option, ecasound just
>> doesn't tell me about it.
>
>You could try recording directly with ecasound+ALSA, i.e. without JACK. It
>shouldn't make any difference, but you'd have one less moving part in the
>puzzle. Missing a single sample does suggest a hardware/driver level
>problem though.
>I'm afraid this is a similar hw/driver level issue that is not
>escalated/signaled to application layer (i.e. to apps using
>alsa-lib/libasound). Recording directly from ALSA, and with '-z:xruns'
>ecasound option, might be worth a try though.

 I have made one change: using using `-i:alsahw,0' instead
of '-i:jack_alsa' and it is getting data. First indications
(1 hour of data) is that there have not been dropouts.
However, I can ask for -t:9900 but not -t:10000 for
recording times. With times above 10^4, in this
configuration, ecasound quits with:

(audioio_alsa) Using interleaved stream format.
ERROR: Connecting chainsetup failed: "Enabling chainsetup: AUDIOIO-ALSA: Audio
... format not supported."

I was not able to see how the recording time could cause
this error. The output format is .raw, and has not changed.
With jack transport, recording times up to 86000 seconds
were used. Is this limit a bug, confusion on my part, or an
undocumented feature (ecasound v2.4.6cvs)?

thanks,
.p.

Dr. Paul Knowles. phone: 41 26 300 90 64
email: Paul.Knowles@email-addr-hidden Fax: 41 26 300 97 47
finger me at pexppc33.unifr.ch for more contact information