[ecasound] EcaSpace!

From: David O'Toole <dto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 04:07:10 EET

Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses.

I will see what I can come up with, maybe it will interest
people. Whatever it does, it will suit our "working style".
It is to be called EcaSpace. A very preliminary page is at

http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/EcaSpace.html

A few notes on where the project is going:

I've had to design a unique process for the recording of this
music. As friends and as musicians, we have built up a large library
of recordings that continues to grow. Furthermore each of us has
continued to grow as a musician, both in playing terms and in
ownership of better gear. My purpose is to produce field recordings of
this music, whether a studio composition or improvised live
jamming---for the rest of our lives.

Obviously I will need an industrial-strength, but still intuitive
process.

It is already becoming difficult to search and review this catalog of
recordings. So I recently assembled an Emacs-based system for
managing and indexing the collection. There are some notes and
a screenshot toward the bottom of the following URL:

http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Linkd.html

It integrates a popular Emacs-based outliner/todo system, so that I
can get an overview of our catalog's structure and mark individual
audio files/projects with TODO items and other annotations (key words
for searching, names of artists who perform on the track.)

I would like to make sure this integrates with EcaSpace. I see
EcaSpace as the next step in the design of a process that will be able
to capture this music.

I respect and understand the desire to keep ecasound from
expanding/bloating. However I would like to see ecasound become a an
even better "audio toolkit" that is well-suited to constructing custom
workflows on top. I like ecasound's restriction to just a few basic
notions---i.e. chains, chain ops, inputs, and outputs---that are
nonetheless endlessly configurable and which beg to be scripted by
Lisp engines that transform a higher-level description of a musical
process into ecasound setups.

--
David O'Toole
dto@email-addr-hidden