[ecasound] Upping the priority of encoders?

From: Avuton Olrich <avuton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 22:48:00 EEST

Hello,

I've been using flac daily as an output target for about 24 hours of
audio. Problem is rarely, my flac priority is starved, and ecasound
freaks out, as such:

(eca-engine) Using realtime-scheduling (SCHED_FIFO:50).
(audioio-db-server) wait_for_full failed
(audioio-db-server) wait_for_stop failed
(eca-engine) WARNING: An output object has raised an error! Possible causes: Out
... of disk space, permission denied, unable to launch external
applications needed in
... procesing, etc.

The freak out stuff happened 5 hours into the recording when a errant
process went crazy and started gobbling up all my memory and cpu%.
This is the most important thing happening on this computer and I
don't want it interrupted in any circumstance, so I thought reniceing
it would be good, as the regular process is given a 0 by default. Is
reniceing the best option I have? Is there any way to get ecasound to
give it a better priority? Is there a way to increase the buffer
between ecasound and flac, and would that improve this situation? My
current command line looks like:

ecasound -r -i alsa,default -z:db,1000000 -z:intbuf -o /blah/bleh.flac

And my flac_output_cmd looks like:
/usr/local/bin/flac -o /blah/bleh.flac --input-size=15240783600
--force-raw-format --channels=2 --bps=16 --sample-rate=44100
--sign=signed --endian=little -

Thanks for any pointers,

--
avuton