Re: [ecasound] Error lists on ARM9 machine

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 14:34:09 EEST

Hello,

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Ronald Stewart wrote:

> hey guys I am getting these errors upon playback of .wav file
[...]
> NWFPE: ecasound[1137] takes exception 00000002 at c0035fbc from 00249a20
> NWFPE: ecasound[1137] takes exception 00000002 at c0035fbc from 00249a20

this looks like a problem with float-math emulation. With ARM (an many
other embedded archs where hardware support for floating point math is
often missing), you have to emulate fp math, but there are many ways to do
it: convert floating point math to fixed math at compile time (gcc creates
calls to library functions instead of outputting float assembly ops), or
output float assembly and let the kernel handle the emulation with
exception handlers. This means that the user-space libraries,
cross-compiler and the kernel must agree on how fp-math is handled in the
system.

The error seems to suggest that the kernel is not built to
support fp emulation, but the user-space program contains fp assemly ops,
so you get the exceptions (as in the quote above).

So in short, a problem is probably in how the cross-compilation
environment is set up.

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv