Re: [ecasound] Using Gverb with pan

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 08:38:25 EEST

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:05:09AM +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi!
> What I sometimes do, if something like that fails are the following two
> things:
> 1.
> ecasound -f:16,1,44100 -i mono-input.wav -f:16,2,44100 -o stereo-output.wav
> -el:gverb,...
> Or if this doesn't do it neither:
> 2.
> sox -c 1 mono-input.wav -c 2 stereo-input.wav
> This simply doubles the mono-channel. input still sounds mono, but can be
> used with stereo-effects without a problem.
> Kindest regards
> Julien

Julien,

Thanks for your suggestions.

My problem arises out of a chain setup I am using for
mixdown.

After panning each of several audio tracks from a live
session and then combining them, I have a two channel signal.

At this point I would like to apply gverb, or maybe other
LADSPA effects that operate on only one channel.

Here are the solutions I am considering:

1. split the mixdown signal into two separate chains,
apply the desired effects to each, then recombine them.

This needs complicated routing, but would allow me
to use slightly different reverb parameters on the two
stereo tracks, which the audacity/gverb wiki says yields
a remarkable stereo effect.

2. apply a separate effect to each track before I split
it to stereo for panning.

This will work, but not in realtime on my low-power
fanless system. And is more complicated to apply and manage.

3. mixdown without effects and apply them in audacity

This works, but I'd like to do as much work as possible in
the Ecasound environment, which includes the ability to
do a rough mixdown at the same time I am doing the live
recording.

(It would be *cool* to be able to burn a CD or two at
the end of the gig with that night's performance.)

--
Joel Roth