Re: [ecasound] Mishandling of weird characters in file arguments?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 01:15:53 EET

Hello,

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, icosa atropa wrote:

> I'm using ecasound v2.4.2, packaged with Ubuntu breezy; I took a peak
[...]
> Ecasound dependably chokes on files containing weird characters,
> commas in particular.
[...]
>> ecasound -i "snip/22-Drum_Machine,_Cello,_Headwrap.mp3"
>> ecasound -i snip/22-Drum_Machine\,_Cello\,_Headwrap.mp3
>> ecasound -i snip/22-Drum_Machine,_Cello,_Headwrap.mp3
> do *not* work, failing with the comment
> "Audio object 'snip/22-Drum_Machine' does not match ..."

yeps, this is unfortunately true. Most of the filename handling bugs are
fixed, but this comma issue still persists (and actually is mentioned in
the BUGS file).

But this should really be fixed. The problem is that ecasound uses commas
to separate the arguments, and escaping is handled before the tokens are
given to the parser (so the parser can't separate filename commas from
param separator commas). So it's a little bit more work... I added a
sf.net ticket for this so it's not forgotten:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1456510&group_id=4605&atid=104605

> The bummer is that " -i snip/*.mp3" fails for the whole directory, and
> there's no direct protection that I can think of ( though I haven't
> yet fully plumbed bash's "for i in" idiom)

This won't work - you can only specify one file with a single '-i'. You
can have multiple files in a session, but then you have to additionally
specify how they are to be connected.

If you just want to play bunch of files, use for example:

sh> ecaplay *.mp3

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv