Re: [ecasound] emulating jamin

From: Jesse Chappell <jesse@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 17:44:04 EET

Warren Smith wrote on Fri, 24-Feb-2006:

> Something I'd like to do is emulate the mastering step the program
> Jamin allows. The EQ and range of dynamic compression that Jamin
> achieves is great but it is the biggest hog of processing power of all
> my audio tools. It would be great to find an example of an Ecasound
> script that can duplicate the mastering process of Jamin.

It isn't the gui of jamin that is the CPU hog, it is the actual
DSP processing itself. Of course, you may not need its linear
EQ and crossovers or the multiband compressor for your projects, that part is
up to you.

> Surely it is possible :) to emulate the mastering step of Jamin
> through ecasound for non realtime processing. Has anyone ever tried
> this before? It would really be neat if Jamin allowed one to save
> their parameter settings into an Ecasound .ecs file for process
> rendering outside of the GUI but that is, I am sure, a subject outside
> of Ecasound discussion groups domain.

You need to determine what are the salient aspects of jamin that
are important to you. For instance maybe you can get by with an
alternative LADSPA EQ (one of the TAP eqs for instance), and you
can use the limiter plugin from jamin (it is lookahead_limiter from SWH
plugins set). For compressors, try SC4 or TAP dynamics....

jlc