Re: [ecasound] problems with cs-set-position

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 00:47:22 EEST

Hello,

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Pedro Antonio Fructuoso Merino wrote:

>> Does this happen to other inputs than mp3 files? Seeking mp3 files is not
>> sample accurate (instead done in mp3 frames).
> Ok, i made 3 song files (wav, mp3 and ogg) with ecasound (ecasound -i
> song.mp3 -o song-eca.FORMAT).
> - WAV:
> cs-set-posicion and cs-set-posicion-samples work very well.

yeps, this is as it should be.

> - MP3:
> With cs-set-position i had the same result: nothing. With
> cs-set-posicion-samples the first command work fine but nexts do nothing.

Unfortunately this is also expected. Seeking mp3 files with Ecasound is
limited to the mp3 frame size (usually 1152 samples per frame). This could
be improved, but would require more integrated support for mp3
decoding/encoding, and due to various issues (adding extra library
dependencies, licensing issues. etc), I'm not too enthusiastic about
doing this.

> - OGG:
> cs-set-posicion and cs-set-posicion-samples take the same results: go to
> the 0.0 position

Seeking is not supported at all for ogg files atm.

There is some hope for better ogg and flac file support, as there is work
going on to add these formats to libsndfile. Once this is ready, you'll be
able to do sample-accurate seeks without any changes needed to Ecasound.
Check the libsndfile website plus mailing lists for more info (I'm not
aware of current status of this work).

--
  links, my public keys, etc at http://eca.cx/kv