[ecasound] RE: Newcomer problem with LADSPA, was newcomer problem with loop device

From: Stuart Allie <Stuart.Allie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 02:55:09 EEST

> Now, when using jack-rack, I set the plugin as follows:
>
> Room size 30 m
> Reverb time 7 sec
> Damping factor 0.5
> Input 0.75
> Dry level 0dB
> Early refl lvl -28dB
> Tail level -40dB
>
> It works just fine. But when I try to do the same with
> ecasound by adding the following to a chain:
>
> -a mic -el:gverb,30,7,0.5,0.75,0,-28,-40

I assume that was meant to be
-a:mic (note the ":")

> ...I get a really strange digital-noise style thing that
> sounds like GVerb settings are _way_ off. Do jack-rack and
> ecasound have some difference in plugin parameters? Is there
> a LADSPA host that'd enable me to see the correct values to
> pass to ecasound?

The parameters you use for a ladspa plugin in ecasound are exactly the
same as those you would see in jack-rack or any other ladspa host. I
tried -el:gverb,30,7,0.5,0.75,0,-28,-42 with a wav file as input and it
worked for me. I vaguely remember having problems with gverb a year or
so ago, but it works for me now.

So possiblities that might help:
- try the gverb setting with:
  - a file as input and a file as output
  - a file as input and alsa,hw as output (turn jack off first)
  - a file as input and jack_alsa as output
  - alsa,hw as input and a file as output (turn jack off first)
  - jack_alsa as input and a file as output
This might help narrow it down to a specific problem.

- you are using the soundcard for both input and output; make sure you
are not also monitoring the input via the soundcard's internal mixer.
- update your gverb to the latest version (mine was from
swh-plugins-0.4.13-rh9-ccrma)
- update your ecasound to the latest and greatest
- update jack (jack did have some distortion issues some time ago)

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Stuart