Re: [ecasound] triming silence in sound files

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 12:52:32 EEST

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

>> ecasound -i foo.wav -o foo-cropped.wav -ge:0.5,0.5,0
>>
>> See ecasound(1) for more info about the -ge operator. You probably need to
>> tune the first two parameters (0.5% example) to get optimal results.
> Yes, after looking through the examples I found that operator, and
> indeed it does what I am looking for. However if a file has some silence
> embedded (a sentence with several words) it will be truncated at the
> first silence, which is expected behavior. So I had to use "-ge:1,0" and
> forego end trimming.
[...]
> To effectively trim the end silence, one could maybe process the file in
> reverse with that same operator? Or some other trick?

yep, that would do the trick:

# remove silence at start
sh> ecasound -i foo.wav -o tmp.wav -ge:1,0,0
# reverse, remove silence at start
sh> ecasound -i reverse,tmp.wav -o tmp2.wav -ge:1,0,0
# reverse to get the original direction
sh> ecasound -i reverse,tmp2.wav -o foo-cropped.wav

I did a quick test, and seems to work ok.