Re: [ecasound] OSC ECI?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 10 2005 - 20:06:49 EEST

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, oliver oli wrote:

> Mario Lang wrote:
>> Are there any plans to move ECI to OSC?

Answering to the original question first - yes, I've been closely
following the OSC discussions on lad/lau, and development of various
helper libraries (especially Steve's liblo).

But I'm still not sure what is the correct approach to take - how much,
and what, functionality to expose via OSC. That brings us to Oliver's
comment:

> an OSC interface for ecasound would be nice. but besides OSC-ECI, i
> would like to see an OSC interface only for changing control parameter,
> not for creating and changing chain setups.

Yes, this seems like a good idea. Exposing all of EIAM would be a massive
task, and we don't really know whether anyone would use the OSC interface.
But, but, exposing a subset might be a good way to start the OSC work. If
people use it, then expand functionality. One potential set of functions
to start with are the EIAM realtime-capable commands (see ecasound-iam(1)
manpage for the list and description).

Comments, ideas?