Re: [ecasound] Piping to ecasound

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 22:45:30 EEST

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Bill Moseley wrote:

> I'll try that .cdr format. As I posted in previous messages, the
> -pad option (I assume) is adding a delay between the tracks when the
> tracks are burned to cdr.

Yup, for normal audio-cd's, the tracks have to be aligned to sector
size boundaries (2352 bytes). If you want to avoid the gaps, you need to
burn the CDs in Disc-at-Once mode (DAO), instead of Track-at-Once (TAO).
See

   http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html

... for more info and instructions.

>> ecasound -i test.flac -o alsa
> Seems flac is not registered in my version from Debian Sid.

Install the "flac" package...

> BTW -- When working remotely (like now, on my laptop) any suggestions
> how to play locally. Currently, I output to a file then use ssh and
> pipe into something like mplayer. But I'm curious if there's a way
> to use something like -o alsa but have it work over the network.

Search google for "linux audio network" plus one of "nas", "esd",
"polypaudio", "arts", "mas". IOW, there are plenty of tools to choose
from... there are also plans both in ALSA and JACK projects to add better
support for audio-over-network scenarios, but these are still
in early phases...