Re: [ecasound] ecasound features slow recording

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 29 2005 - 22:03:38 EEST

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Hans wrote:

> I am converting some old tapes into wav files. The box is a Celeron 700 with
> the latest updated version of simplyMEPIS, ALSA to control the Intel 82810
> sound chip on board. Direct to disk recording is done with ecasound and the
> following options: -t 1800 -i alsahw,0,0 -o filename.wav. A song which lasts
> 4'35" on tape ends up as a 5'03" wave file, so much slower and dropped in
> tone. Is this an ecasound problem, ALSA problem, or both?

Most probably an ALSA problem (my guess would be failure in setting the
correct sampling rate).

> I tried to record with an Terratec EWX 24/96, which is the second card in the
> box, but ecasound refuses to take -i alsahw,1,0 which I don't understand as
> card works fine for playback. Using JACK everything works like a charm, even
> recording with the Terratec, but I am stubborn and still want to know what I
> am doing wrong.

When opening with "alsahw" (direct access without alsa-lib plugins for
implicit conversions), you have to match the audio format parameters the
app is using to those supported by the hw. I'm not 100% sure, but I
suspect the EWX is a standard "ice1712 multi" device, which means it needs
to be fed with 12 input channels (the physical device might have less
channels, but this is what happens at driver level). So you can do:

# match ecasound's audio format to hw capabilities
# => 32bit, 12ch, 44100Hz
ecasound -f:32,12,44100 -i alsahw,1,0 -o foo.wav

# let alsa-lib do the conversions (plughw)
ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i alsa,plughw:1 -o foo.wav

Jackd opens ALSA devices with max number of channels and sample
precision...