Re: [ecasound] advice for mixing

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 16:27:09 EEST

Hello,

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 will@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> Even with several inputs, the resultant ecasound mixed file does not clip
> if none of the inputs clip.
> 1)Without extra parameters, does ecasound average the levels for the
> several inputs in mixes?

yes, this has been the behavour since the beginning. In version 2.4.0 (and
newer), you can alternatively choose sum-mixmode with '-z:mixmode,sum'.
Averaging is still the default mixing policy.

> 2)Originally we were only going to use ecasound for recording(first app.
> that didn't clip :-)) Now we are planning to use ecasound for more
> elaborate mixes. It seems after we mix we need to run ecanormalize as the
> output file can sometimes have fairly low levels. I could well be doing
> something fundamentally wrong, and we do not apply gain/pan individual
> channels as many on this list seem to. However, before I spend a lot of
> time playing with mixes, any ideas?

Yes, as mixing is done by averaging, the resulting amplitude can be lower
(especially if you are mixing channels with no overlapping audio). You can
either use the sum-mixmode, or add amplify-effects to the chains
("-ea:200" to double amplitude). See the "Mixing" examples at
http://eca.cx/ecasound/Documentation/examples.html ...