Re: [ecasound] ALSA hints for multitrack recording

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 12:05:46 EET

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Cassettes2CDs wrote:

> This is about doing multitrack recording with ALSA.
> Back in the OSS days I'd just fire off multiple
> ecasound processes, each recording from a different
> /dev/dsp#, and that was it.
[...]
> But in ALSA, I can only record from the first of an M
> Audio Delta 1010LT's stereo pairs:

This is basicly the same issue as I wrote about yesterday to the list, you
need to record all the 12ch that come from the chip if you use "alsahw"
with the Delta (ice 1712) cards. You can then demux the 12ch stream with
ecasound operators into stereo pairs.

There are quite a few messages about this in the archives. See
for example:
http://www.eca.cx/ecasound-list/2003/03/0016.html

It's also possible to split the Delta cards into multiple virtual
soundcards (for example stereo pairs) using ALSA PCM plugins. I don't
have any pointers to docs that instruct on how to do this, but the
asoundrc wiki is probably a good place to start:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php