RE: [ecasound] Re: Resampling in realtime

From: Kamil Wencel <wencel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 23:01:03 EET

Here is some overview :

Latest ecasound
Latest libsamplerate-*HQ* aka. secret rabbit code

This is important. Since there have been some issues in the past regarding
standard libsamplerate, secret rabbit code and its resample-hq option in
ecasound are a must. What was discovered is summarized by the following :

In my case I resampled carefully ripped CD audio tracks ( 16/44.1 ) up to
24/96 because my DAC just sounds better if you feed him his designated
input. This works pretty well on some songs.

Example 1: The Corrs - Live unplugged - little wings or queen of holywood

The results are quite impressive. Much more room, clearer heights and
a much warmer live atmosphere.

Example 2: George Michael - Best of - Fastlove

The results are catastrophic. Clearly hearable clicks and ticks especially
when there is much dynamic in the song.

Could this be some effect because the original file was compressed too much
during mastering ? this is quite a common problem these days. Most studios
don't care about people with real high-end equipment anymore. They just
stuff the music so that it will play well on radio or low tech customer
gear.

This is just a guess because I am no mathematician so I cannot say what kind
of fluke is either in the algorithm itself or in the song causing the
algorithm to bail out.

Someone on the list ( I don't remember his name ) had some ideas which
sounded rather profound. Please let us not give up on that issue again.

cheers,

Kamil