Re: [ecasound] segfault with 24bit recording on ice1712

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 10:52:16 EET

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:

> Actually this example works fine, aplay and ecasound (-i temp.wav -o
> alsa) play the file ok, but if I try to play it back in 24bit:
>
> ecasound -i temp.wav -f 24,2,96000 -o alsa,plughw
>
> is is buzzing (not noise or distorted sound, just buzzing)

What version of ecasound and alsa-lib?

I tested various combinations of -f:24 and alsa,plughw but could not get
a segfault or a buzz in the sound with any combination on my machine. I'm
running ecasound-2.3.5 and alsa-lib-1.0.4 from PlanetCCRMA.

> These commands play back fine:
> ecasound -i temp.wav -f 16,2,96000 -o alsa,plughw
> ecasound -i temp.wav -f 32,2,96000 -o alsa,plughw

That would suggest a bug in the plughw conversion of alsa-lib or an old
bug in ecasound.

I recommend always using -f:32,ch,srate when accessing +16bit soundcards.
I don't know any soundcards that actually consume or produce actual 24bit
samples. Instead they use 32bit samples with least-significant byte padded
to nulls. So the correct Ecasound format is f:32,ch,srate. Otherwise
alsa-lib will have to do conversions.

> I also found more about the segfault. It comes when I try to set the input
> format to 24bit:
>
> ecasound -f 24,2,96000 -i alsa -o temp.wav
>
> and it segfaults right after the '(eca-engine) Prefilling i/o buffers.'
> text, so it only writes the wav header (44 bytes) to temp.wav, no
> recording done

Does not segfault on my machine. :o How about other people, does the above
segfault on your setup (if yes, please also include your alsa-lib
version)...?