Re: [ecasound] Big buffer needed for net recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Big buffer needed for net recording
From: Kai Vehmanen (kvehmanen_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 22:20:40 EET

Hello,

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Dan wrote:

> I'm using ecasound in a front end I wrote for home recording (thanks
> Kai!) The computer is a silent no moving parts VIA box that just takes the
> 88/24 data and puts it on the lan. The problem is that ecasound is
> really finicky about having an output file on the lan. I'm producing about

do you use NFS or possible something else (piping to a netcat)?
How about the command-lines used to execute ecasound?

> 1/2 MB/s, but over wireless lan (throughput of several MB/s) it would get
> disk overruns. I put a huge buffer in there (-z:db,100000 or something) but
> still trouble. I went to 100 M bit lan, and I only get reliable performance
> with another monstrous buffer.

Do you get the "(audioio-db-client) Warning! Overrun in..." errors?

Basicly having to use a big buffer is quite normal. On a machine with
badly configured/baheving IDE disks, something like -z:db,500000 might be
needed. The problem are caused by delay spikes in writing to the file and
only way to get around this is either to increase the buffer or to fix the
storage device (tune harddisks, upgrade NFS, upgrade the network, etc).

> A second question, I tried using named pipes for flac files (the built in
> flac isn't working very well), but it get's upset at the pipes. Either
> it complains about 'fseek' errors and doesn't do anything, or it produces
> incomplete flac files. The builtin flac seems to produce bad files, or
> other weird problems.

Hmm, could you post the how you've run ecasound...? It might be easier
just to pipe directly between two processes: ecasound -i alsa -o stdout