Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] Strange ecasound behavior

Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] Strange ecasound behavior
From: Dubphil (dubphil_AT_free.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 07 2004 - 16:46:44 EET

> Oops, sorry, my mistake. But does it disconnect its ports when it stops
> outputting samples, or just outputs silence?

it just outputs silence normally because it is the end of the sample :)

> Something strange happens
> anyway that causes jackd to produce xruns. When the "client zombified" is
> printed, the damage has already been done -- this just informs that
> something has gone badly wrong and the client must be
> restarted/reconnected to jackd. It's still possible that the fault is in
> ecasound, I'm not saying that, but the "zombified" warning suggests the
> problem is elsewhere.

Ok after a bunch of hours trying to compile all the stuff I succeed in
reproduce the *bug* with all fresh compiled apps and without ardour (it is
a big blackbox that we have luck to exclude).

so first the compilated software version :

all software where compiled with gcc-3.3.4 from the Slackware 10.0 and the
kernel-ide-as-2.4.27-1AudSlack-i686

jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.0 (in debug mode)
qjackconnect-0.0.3b (I use this because the qjackctl-0.2.13 build was buggy)
specimen-0.4.5
terminatorX-3.82
ecasound-2.3.5 (in debug mode)
arts-1.3.1 (I don't know if this one is needed, but Jack audioslack
package depends on it so I feel like I must compile it...)

so I run jackd like that :
jackstart -v -R -d alsa -p 512 -M -S -i 2 -o 2

then I run qjackconnect

then I run terminatorX

then I run ecasound like that :

ecasound_debug -a:1,2,3,4 -i jack /
-a:1 -efl:300 -o jack /
-a:2 -efb:500,400 -o jack /
-a:3 -efb:1000,600 -o jack /
-a:4 -efh:1300 -o jack

in qjackconnect :
I plug all the ecasound outputs to the playback alasa ports
I plug the alsa capture ports to the ecasound inputs
I plug the terminatorX outputs to the ecasound inputs

at this step everything fine

I disconnect the capture ports from ecasound inputs ==>> xruns
IMPORTANT ! no zombie produced this time with this configuration
I rapidly play the sample in terminatorX ==>> the xruns stops.

I assume having reproduce the *bug*

> Could you try the debug items 1 and 2 above? I'm a few hundred kms away
> from nearest JACK-enabled machine, so I cannot do any debugging on this
> issue....

ok now I need help, jackd is producing a lot of message that I' unable to
read :)
how can I proceed to get the good information from all this flow of text ?

Philippe