Re: [ecasound] Re: [ecasound-announce] Ecasound 2.3.4 released

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Re: [ecasound-announce] Ecasound 2.3.4 released
From: Kai Vehmanen (kvehmanen_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 16:10:12 EET

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> I'm trying to get back up-to-speed with ecasound Debian packages.
> I'm planning to update ecasound packages (and merge with ecasound2.2 packages
> since I don't think it's worth maintaining a fork of ecasound 2.0 series)

I very much agree. 2.2.x tree contains many critical bugfixes that were
never ported to the 2.0 series and never will (it would just be too much
work). Also, numerous platform-portability/compability and build-system
fixes have gone to 2.2.x which should be helpful on Debian as there are
many platforms to support.

I guess for packaging the most difficult parts are the python and ruby
extensions, but even these should be easier with 2.2 as there are
standalone ECI implementations (= no need to compile and install language
specific extensions) for both python and ruby. You just need to copy the
ruby and python files to the correct directory.

I'll probably releaese the first 2.4.x version some time next year, but
there won't be any major changes so upgrade from 2.3.x to 2.4.x is going
to be an easy one.

> ecasound 2.3.4 should soon be available at 'exprimental' distribution of
> Debian, which I am planning to get into 'unstable' when I figure
> out how to do the 'ecasound' package replacement

Great, let me know if you need help in the packaging work.