Nonstop xruns?

Subject: Nonstop xruns?
From: Stephen Stocker (lpar_AT_par1.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 2004 - 21:19:30 EET

   Hi,

   After updating my Ecasound CVS the other day, I checked to make sure it
was basically OK by trying to play an .ogg file with no filters or
effects, just ecasound -i:some.ogg -o:alsa. I got nothing but continuous
scrolling xrun warnings. Then I tried an mp3, same thing. Next, I tried
ALSA's OSS output (/dev/dsp) with the same results. The only way to kill
it was with Alt-SysRQ E.

   So I reverted to the last update I'd done, and still got the same thing!
Then it occurred to me that I probably hadn't ever tried to work with ogg
or mp3 files, just uncompressed wavs with the previous version.

   So I went back further in my backups and found that the May 26th CVS was
the last version I had which worked fine with ogg and mp3.

   I'm running Slackware, ALSA 1.0.7rc2, with gcc 2.95.3, kernel
2.4.24-ck1.

   I can't figure this one out. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!

         TIA,
         Steve