Dropouts every 4 minutes

Subject: Dropouts every 4 minutes
From: kenneth.hann_AT_saunalahti.fi
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 11:48:11 EEST

Hi,
First two things:
 - I like Ecasound
 - I think my problem is outside Ecasound.
but I could sure use some help...

I get drops (about 20-40ms) at four minute intervals. I'm running a very
basic mandrake 9.2 as root. I get the same result from the console with
no X running. I've used chkconfig to turn off a lot of the unnecessary
services (syslog, chrond, atd, cups...) always the same result. I have
my sound files on a separate disk. I've tried all sorts of buffering in
Ecasound, and raised priority. I'm not even trying for any "low latency"
just recording cassettes so I don't really belive I should need a
low-latency kernel.

Is there something that runs every four minutes?
Any ideas?

  -- Ken