Re: [ecasound] major race condition in ECI

Subject: Re: [ecasound] major race condition in ECI
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 22:40:01 EEST

Hello,

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Jesse Chappell wrote:

> There was a problem that plagued me years ago, and still does today, so
> I dove in to debug it. Basically, using the ECI interface through
> python was often causing read/sync errors in the ecasoundc_sa
[...]
> more restrictive log level mask on line 359 in ecasoundc_sa.c (257 instead of 259).

hmm, I guess you are right -- I cannot think of any reasons why it should
be 259 (i.e. include info-level messages). And actually, even errors
should be omitted, so the correct level is 256. This is in line with
the native-python and ruby ECI implementations.

So in other words this seems like a correct fix. And it's worth noting
that this will increase ECI robustness for all implementations that are
built on top of the C impl (non-native python, perl, etc).

Big thanks for this fix! I'll submit it to CVS right away. Be
prepared to see your name mentioned in the 2.3.4 release notes. :)