*Find* a place that would trigger the threshold gate?

Subject: *Find* a place that would trigger the threshold gate?
From: Mikhail Ramendik (mr_AT_ramendik.ru)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 11:36:50 EEST

Hello,

I'd like to do some custom filtering based on threshold gating. I.e. to
cut off silence from the beginning of the file, but leave 1 second
*before* the threshold intact. Or, to find the place where the sound
goes below a threshold, then the place where it goer above again, and
split the file in the middle (this will split the tracks from a cassette
recording).

Threshold gating itself probably won;t do; it seems too simple for this.
I'd prefer to be able to *find* the place where the sound goes
above/below a threshold, and then have the chainsetup stop there; I
would record the time, rewind, or do anything else I want.

Is this possible with ecasound and if yes, how?

Thanks in advance.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik
(a newbie who does like the idea of sound scripting)