Re: [ecasound] one of three cards recording silence

Subject: Re: [ecasound] one of three cards recording silence
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 11:46:11 EEST

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Maik Musall wrote:

> Since a kernel recompile (2.4.27 on gentoo, I added a SATA driver),
> the intel8x0 device records only silence. The other two continue
[...]
> When I boot knoppix 3.6 with "alsa=intel8x0", I can record and
> playback normally, so it must be some software/config thing.

This is most probably an ALSA issue. You can verify this by testing with
arecord, and if you get the same result (silence in the recorded file).
You can try different versions of ALSA and reports your findings to
alsa-users mailing list.

PS Also double-check your mixer settings with 'alsamixer'. Be sure
   to enable all relevant controls and select a valid capture source.