Re: [ecasound] (potential) last_float() / copp-get bug in C ECI

Subject: Re: [ecasound] (potential) last_float() / copp-get bug in C ECI
From: Adam Linson (adam_AT_percent-s.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 12:13:07 EEST

Hello,

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 22:08, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> hmm, actually it _did_ return the correct value. Now...
> ... the values returned by last_*() functions are always reseted when a
> ECI new command is issued. In other words, last_float() only returns a
> valid value if "last_type() == 'f'" holds true.

Thanks for the explanation. That's was I was so cautious in my
formulation -- I suspected I was overlooking some detail. If I'm
understanding you correctly, perhaps a minor wording change to the
ecasound-iam man page could clarify this. Under the heading "ECI API and
return types", instead of "Commands that do not return anything are
marked with [-]" it could read "Commands that return nothing...". A
seemingly trivial linguistic point, but a potentially significant
semantic difference, since the current formulation suggests a neutral
rather than active behavior. But then again, maybe I'm totally off-base
on that ;-)
Also, your sentence above ("the values returned ... issued") could be
added to the ECI Guide under "3.2.2 Return values" for further
clarification. It seems to add new information to the opening paragraph
of that section.

Topic change: I didn't update the subject line, but I do have a question
about a feature I would like to request for ecasound-iam. I tried the
list archives, but couldn't find anything about the following...
Basically, I'm wondering if it would be architecturally consistent to
implement something like "[*]-selected-status". As far as I can tell,
right now a "cop-status" (or "aio-status", etc.) returns information for
all objects of that type, regardless if they're selected or not. In some
cases, it could be useful to get the status of selected objects only,
with something like "cop-selected-status", for example, when doing a lot
of parsing of the returned string in an ECI API.

thanks,
adam