Re: [ecasound] silent failure

Subject: Re: [ecasound] silent failure
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 23:11:59 EEST

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Maik Musall wrote:

> I've got a problem that ecasound fails recording, stops execution
> immediately but gives no error message and exit code 0, so it's quite
> difficult to deal with that error.

What version of ecasound and of ALSA? There have been problems with
certain versins of ALSA, which could lead to errors like this.

> ecasound -t:$DURATION -i alsahw,${CARDNR},0 -q -o stdout | buffer |\
> oggenc -r -Q -q3 -o $FILENAME -

Why use 'buffer' and 'oggenc'. Add suggest to use:

sh> ecasound -t:$DURATION -i alsahw,${CARDNR},0 -o $FILENAME.ogg

... and put the necessary oggenc options to your ~/ecasound/ecasoundrc.
See ecasoundrc(5) man page for details.

Now if it still fails, something will be printed out to the
terminal. I'd be interested in that info...