Re: [ecasound] flac support problems -- ecasound-2.3.4-pre20040819

Subject: Re: [ecasound] flac support problems -- ecasound-2.3.4-pre20040819
From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki (eric_AT_zhevny.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 00:44:44 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>>ecasound -f:32,12,48000 -i:alsahw,0,0 \
>> -f:24,1,48000 -o:2004-0904-house-yard.flac \
>> -erc:3,1 -eac:0,4
> opps, this is a bug in flac support. Flac tool uses the 24-in-32bit sample
> format (i.e. each sample takes 32bits of space, but only 24bits contain
> valid data). Ecasound's s24_le/_be format refers to packed 24bit format
> (i.e. sample stored to 24bits, no extra padding), and this causes the
> problem.
> I've fixed this in CVS. A new pre-release, which contains this fix plus
> few others, is available at:
> http://ecasound.seul.org/download/snapshots/ecasound-2.3.4-pre20040905.tar.gz

Thanks Kai. This new pre-release works fine for that. One little bit of
weirdness on playback, though. alsa output doesn't seem to want to be
told the format. The following commandline gives an error:

ecasound -f:24,1,48000 -i:2004-0905-house.flac \
          -f:32,1,48000 -o:alsahw,0,0
(eca-control) ERROR: Connecting chainsetup failed: "Enabling
chainsetup: AUDIOIO-ALSA: Channel count 1 is out of range!"

similar error occurs with -f:32,2,48000 for the output. i.e. "Channel
count 2 ... !"

If I specify 24 bits with -f:24,1,48000 I get this error:
(eca-control) ERROR: Connecting chainsetup failed: "Enabling
chainsetup: AUDIOIO-ALSA: Audio format not supported."

However, if I just leave the output format unspecified playback works
fine like this:
ecasound -f:24,1,48000 -i:2004-0905-house.flac -o:alsahw,0,0

In general I've been having trouble figuring out when I need to specify
the output format and when I don't. Sometimes it seems to be required
and sometimes not. I haven't noted exactly when this happens because
I've just recently started using larger sample sizes and assumed I was
just doing something wrong. But, I have the impression that sometimes a
given commanline will work one time and not another. As though the
driver or soundcard is somehow left in a bad state or something. I'll
take note of any further issues I run into and report what I find. Maybe
I am just confused ... we'll see.

>>There is a typo (cut-n-paste-o? ;) ) in man ecasoundrc:
>> ext-cmd-flac-output
>> <snip>
>> %f is replaced with path to the output ogg, <-- should be flac
>> <snip>
> Oops, thanks, fixed in cvs.

No problem. I'm glad be able to help a little.

-Eric Rz.