Re: [ecasound] One chain, multiple "run" calls = bad output length

Subject: Re: [ecasound] One chain, multiple "run" calls = bad output length
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 00:28:20 EEST

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:03:21PM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> The problem is caused by wrong chainsetup-level position when
> starting the second run. 'cs-set-length-samples 12345' tells ecasound
> to run until chainsetup position (see cs-get-position) reaches 12345.

ahh, i should have seen a clue in that i was doing a cs-set-*
command in the middle of chain commands.
thanks!

> Now if you issue 'cs-get-position' before the second run, you'll note that
> the position is already 12345, and thus the second run stops immediately
> after 'run'.
>
> Fortunately the fix is easy, just issue 'cs-set-position-samples 0' after
> 'ao-add bar-out.wav', and ta-daa, it works as it should. :)

Great... except it doesn't.
I think if you think about which commands require the chainsetup
to be connected and which require it to be disconnected, you will
see why.

command chainsetup connected?
cs-set-position-samples Yes
cs-set-length-samples No
ai-set-position-samples No

Which means, in order to extract sections of audio like I want,
I can't follow your suggestion of putting cs-set-position-samples
after ao-add bar-out.wav. That gives an error.

But maybe I can instead call cs-set-position-samples *after* running but
before disconnecting, so it will be "remembered" on the next run?
So I tried that, but it gives me incorrect output lengths again :-\
Too short.

It looks like cs-set-position-samples is having no effect.
From an interactive test:

ecasound ('h' for help)> cs-get-position-samples
7333888
ecasound ('h' for help)> cs-set-position-samples 0
ecasound ('h' for help)> cs-get-position-samples
7333888

Same with cs-set-position, no effect.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com