Re: [ecasound] FLAC

Subject: Re: [ecasound] FLAC
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 17:53:38 EEST

Hello,

I've just commited basic FLAC support, implementation based on forking
'flac' command-line tool, to Ecasound CVS. This closes 'edi-32' which was
originally opened on 17.10.2004 (see msg below).

Now while this implementation works for many uses, this has the same
problems as do other "fork-based" audio format modules (mp3, ogg,
timidity, mikmod). Probably the most serious is that Ecasound does not
know what format the decoders will produce. This means that you might need
to manually set correct format parameters with ecasound's -f option for
decoding to work properly.

With mp3s the situation is a little better as we have separate code for
mp3 header parsing. This allows us to query channel-count, srate, and
other params from the mp3 header but even this is not perfect. The same
good be done for FLAC (and for Ogg Vorbis), but this is not high on my
priority list... MikMod and Timidity are little easier as the
decoders/renderers allow to set the output format explicitly.

Anyways, I needed FLAC support for my own uses, so I added this simple
implementation now. Hopefully we'll later get better FLAC support via
libsndfile.