Can't use jack output

Subject: Can't use jack output
From: Ross Clement (R.P.Clement_AT_westminster.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 10:57:49 EEST

Hi. I can't get ecasound to output sound to jack. I've searched the net
to try and find documentation that might help me understand what I'm doing
wrong, but can't find anything. I run jack with the command:

$ jackd -d alsa -S -r 48000 -p 512
jackd 0.98.1
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|16bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods

When I run the following command (without jack running) I hear music.

$ ogg123 -d raw -f - pas_tave.ogg | ecasound -i stdin -o /dev/dsp

When I run the following command I get errors:

$ ogg123 -d raw -f - pas_tave.ogg | ecasound -i stdin -o jack_asla
* ecasound v2.3.3 (C) 1997-2004 Kai Vehmanen
- [ Session created ] ------------------------------------------------------

---
ecasound: ERROR: [ECA-SESSION] : "(eca-chainsetup-parser) Audio object 'jack_asla' does not match any of the known audio device types or file formats. You can check the list of supported audio object types by issuing the command 'aio-register' in ecasound's interactive mode."

Audio Device: RAW sample output

Playing: pas_tave.ogg Title: Pas tave Artist: Aivaras Stepukonis Genre: Pop Date: 2002 Album: Aivaras Track number: 05

I get the same output when trying "jack", "jack_auto", and "jack_generic" as suggested when I try the aoi-register command in interactive mode.

I've seen a reference to having to set up input and output with jack, but can't find documentation that would say whether this is actually my problem and/or what to do about it.

Any hints?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ross-c