Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] recording problems JACK,ecasound

Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] recording problems JACK,ecasound
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 04:55:37 EEST

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 17:50, H. T. Hind wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 04:25:58PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > >strace on jack shows -
> > >futex(0x8064344, FUTEX_WAIT, 2, NULL
> > >
> > >as if it is waiting for a lock to be released.
> > >

> > >I'm using JACK 0-98.1, ecasound 2.3.3, python 2.2.3 on a Planet
> > >CCRMA kernel
> >
> > you must be running the barely-modified RH/CCRMA kernel. the standard
> > 2.4 kernel doesn't use futexes. probably means nothing, but it just
> > lept out at em.
>
> Yes, I'm running the RH/CCRMA kernel. I can try JACK under a
> vanilla RH kernel and see if the problem persists. Would you
> recommend that ? I started off using a vanilla kernel, but was
> running into xruns and I read on the list that I would be better
> off with a patched kernel like from CCRMA.

Wait... which kernel are you booting? ("uname -r" to find out). There
are two different kernels in Planet CCRMA land. If it is 2.4.26-1.ll
then it is the latest "vanilla" Planet CCRMA (patched for best latency)
kernel. If it is something else, then it is the "RedHat" kernel with
capabilities, which has worse latency but better "compatibility" with
the original unpatched RedHat kernel.

-- Fernando