ecasound stalls JACK ?

Subject: ecasound stalls JACK ?
From: H. T. Hind (hirh_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 23:22:24 EEST

I have an ecasound instance reading from JACK and outputting to
a sound card. I also have another instance reading from JACK and
outputting to files. After a while, the sound output started
crackling and I quit out of the ecasound listen session and it
generated the following error -

(ecasoundc_sa) Error='read() error', cmd='engine-halt'
last_error='' cmd_cnt=12 last_cnt=11.
* Message from libecasoundc:
*
* Connection to the processing engine was lost. Check that
* ecasound
* is correctly installed. Also make sure that ecasound is either
* in some directory listed in PATH, or the environment variable
* 'ECASOUND' contains the path to a working ecasound executable.

(ecasoundc_sa) Error='sync error', cmd='cs-disconnect'
last_error='' cmd_cnt=13 last_cnt=11.

(ecasoundc_sa) Error='read() error', cmd='cs-disconnect'
last_error='' cmd_cnt=13 last_cnt=11.

and the process exited, but JACK started generating the following
error message -
subgraph starting at ecarecord_19306
timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=14, status = 0, state = Finished)
at 7090822510898 client waiting on 14
took 1010259 usecs, status = 1 sig = 7090821500627 awa =
7090821500654 fin = 7090821500657 dur=30

for quite some time till it generated the following -
subgraph starting at ecarecord_19306
timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=14, status = 0, state = Finished)
at 7090916524216 client waiting on 14
took 1010310 usecs, status = 1 sig = 7090915513895 awa =
7090915513934 fin = 7090915513939 dur=44
removing failed client jack_connect
state = Not triggered errors = 0
adios senor jack_connect
*&*&*&*&** senor jack_connect - you are
a ZOMBIE

while the JACK daemon was generating the error messages, no other
client could connect to JACK. I tried qjackctl and it just
stalled.

I think that ecasound and how it interacts with JACK maybe at
fault . I have the following commands

self.e.command("stop")
self.e.command("engine-halt")
self.e.command("cs-disconnect")
if self.e.last_type() == 'e':
    print 'Ended to error:',
    self.e.last_error()
    result = -1
sys.exit(result)

in my Python script that controls the ecasound instance.

Is there something that could cause JACK to stall ?

Any help is appreciated

hth