Re: [ecasound] alsa plugin for monitor

Subject: Re: [ecasound] alsa plugin for monitor
From: Art Sulger (asulger_AT_11thHourVacations.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 15:06:14 EEST

Erik said:
>I generally use something like
>ecasound -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i alsahw,1,0 -o ./something.wav
>
>Replace that with alsahw,0,0 if it's your first sound card. Add a -c
or >-t to make it possible to stop. Fiddle with envy24control (from the
>alsatools package) or alsamixer to set up the card mix.
>
>There's probably some fancy way to use the device names from your
>.asoundrc, but I've never had the patience to try to figure it out.

I was using "-i alsahw,0,0" but that this just records line levels, not
mixed levels. The output of the digital mixer is different.
This is an .asound.conf file
pcm.mon_mix {
  type plug
  ttable.0.10 1 # (digital mix left)
  ttable.1.11 1 # (digital mix right)
  slave.pcm ice1712
  }
the alsa utilities (aplay, arecord) understand 'mon_mix', but ecasound
doesn't. I must be doing it wrong, because ecasound should recognize the
mixer.

To see if your getting mixer output, record just the left channel but
mix it to 2 channels. See if the resulting output has both channels.
Mine doesn't.

Art