Re: [ecasound] overwriting file peculiarity

Subject: Re: [ecasound] overwriting file peculiarity
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 18:04:27 EEST

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:

> Hi. I tried to convert mono sample to mono,
[...]
> -i mono.wav -f 16,1 -o mono2.wav
> but it still did stereo. After deleting the mono2.wav, it did mono.
[...]
> This looks like -X behaviour, but after some testing it seems that it
> doesn't append to the file.

Hmm...

- -f:bits,ch,rate sets set the "requested format"
- if the file exists (as it did in the case of mono2.wav),
  ecasound will use the format of that file, possible
  ignoring the requested format
- if -x is set (truncate outputs), ecasound will overwrite
  the output file and not consider its format

The -X option (do not truncate) does not refer to appending, but instead
to updating (you can both append to the file and/or overwrite selected
parts of it).

---