Consistent buffer overrun problem (?)

Subject: Consistent buffer overrun problem (?)
From: Arno van Amersfoort (arnova_AT_xs4all.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 13:15:06 EET

I've set up a Fedora/Planet CCRMA system to record with 4 soundcards (8
channels) simultaniously. And yes, I know, everybody recommends not to
do this because of sync problems but I'm kinda stoburn ;-). Anyway, I
seems to work a little now. I can record about 2m45 without any problems
or error messages but after that ecasound starts to fill my screen with
"warning! playback overrun - samples lost!" messages.

 I use options "-b:256 -r -B:rtlowlatency" to increase performance. The
odd thing is that when I double the buffersize (to 512bytes) I get twice
as much time to record properly before things go wrong (little over 5
minutes). I don't really understand what the real cause is. Can somebody
give me a pinpointer or some advice on what to look for?

Thanks. Any help is highly appreciated.