Re: [ecasound] question about dsp

Subject: Re: [ecasound] question about dsp
From: Jan Weil (jawebada_AT_mailbox.tu-berlin.de)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 17:44:43 EET

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 16:17, Scott Berry wrote:
> I am still trying to record with ecasound with no luck. I have two sound
> cards. One is a built in on the mother board and the other is a Sound
> Blaster live. At this time I want to use the Sound Blaster Live. When
> recording I have set the mike to 100 just for test purposes. But I am not
> exactly sure what "dsp" it is on. Is there a way to check this I am
> thinking maybe I am using the wrong dsp when I go to record it looks like
> the ecasound chain setup and everything is setting up fine when I do
> "ecasound -i:/dev/dsp0 -o test1.wav." But when I stop it hopefully I am
> doing this right I am not in interactive mode so I use a control-c to stop
> it because q or quit doesn't seem to work. Thanks for the help.

/dev/dsp0 should be the 'line in' port with a Sound Blaster Live.
Did you try the other devices?
Did you try to open test1.wav in an audio editor (audacity, sweep,
wavesurfer, ecawave, ...)? Does it contain any data (i. e. low noise)?
Do you use ALSA or OSS driver?
(If unsure try whether '/sbin/lsmod' lists snd-pcm-oss, then it's ALSA
in combination with OSS emulation)

Jan