Re: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging

Subject: Re: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging
From: Stefan Bund (l-ecasound.d.xalan_AT_xoxy.net)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 13:00:53 EET

Kai Vehmanen <k_AT_eca.cx> writes:
> Now I've spent quite a lot of time debugging this (thanks for sending
> the test.py util), but the problem is unfortunately pretty tricky.

;-/

> When the parse_response() hangs, the ecasound process in the background is
> still alive and kicking. For some reason, the pipe between ecasound and
> the python process just dies if too much data activity is going on.

Thats what I just felt might be the problem ... though I could not
find any reason for that.

> Now this might even be a bug in python's popen3() routine. I've been
> testing with python-2.3.

Argh...

> Anyway, the change in 2.3.0 that triggers this problem is the new native
> (as in written in python) ECI implementation for python. The new
> implementation allows you to run ECI python apps without having to install
> any python extensions.

Now that you mention it, I remember having read about this on the
mailing list or in the change-log.

> Luckily the old implementation is still available. So try compiling 2.3.0
> with "./configure --enable-pyecasound=c" and re-run your tests. It should
> work just as with 2.2.0.

Great idea I'll try it right now...

Thanks for your help. If ecasound 2.3.0 will be running now, I'll
again test my other problems and repost, if they stay with 2.3.0

Stefan.