device /dev/dsp busy

Subject: device /dev/dsp busy
From: bart_AT_solozone.com
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 00:04:36 EET

I upgraded to SuSE 9.0 using M-44 Delta series with Audio Buddy breakout box, Asus p800C-E deluxe mobo. Here is the problem:
SuSe hands you a bunch of default players,
xmms plays to my headphone AND to the speaker
aplay plays only to the headphone
NOW ecasound OR wavplay (a simple player I used to use)
both or either lock up the sound with the message "device /dev/dsp" busy
One must re boot and re run alsaconf and check the mixer to run sound properly. How does one re set the sound WITHOUT re boot? ecasound fails to find anything (ecaplay) and then my sound is wrecked. It was working rather well in 8.1 Yes, this IS THEIR problem but you folks are the experts in the sound department.

Bart ALbertibart_AT_solozone.com