midi

Subject: midi
From: Nolan J. Darilek (nolan_AT_thewordnerd.info)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 06:34:30 EEST

Neato. --disable-shared worked, so I'm now building the latest
ecasound.

I'm confused about ecasound's midi support, though, and what I can do
with it. I'm currently attempting to record "real" guitars and vocals
while using an external midi sequencer for drums, bass and
others. What I'd like to do is have the synth begin playing as soon as
ecasound begins processing data. Unfortunately I can't get this
working, and as all I've been able to do with my external midi gear is
play SMF data over it, I'd like to make sure that I'm doing things
correctly on ecasound's end.

I'm not sure which midi device corresponds to my external midi port,
but I can hazard a guess. If I run 'pmidi -l' and get:

 Port Client name Port name
 64:0 Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (U EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
 65:0 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0
 65:1 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 1
 65:2 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 2
 65:3 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 3
. . .

does that mean /dev/snd/midiC0D0 is the right device for 64:0?

I'm guessing that -Mss is what I'd need? If so, how do I use it? If I
simply type -Mss, and if my sequencer is set to receive and act upon
that, will it begin playing? Or do I need to actually start ecasound
first? Is it somehow possible to synchronize the midi start with
the start of the chainsetup?

Also, and this is a bit of a long shot, but are there any yamaha motif
users on this list? Seems like the motif can handle midi start/stop
messages, but I'm not having much success getting them to work, and
messages on the yamaha forums seem to garner lots of confusion about
what it is that I want to do. :)