Re: [ecasound] Updated Perl Audio::Ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Updated Perl Audio::Ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 07:14:38 EEST

Hi,

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Brad Bowman wrote:

> Version 0.9 of Audio::Ecasound should appear soon at
> http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/B/BO/BOWMANBS/

I've just added a news item about this to www.eca.cx and
www.eca.cx/ecasound.

One thing might have changes is (quoting the README file):

> THREADING NOTE
> The ecasoundc library uses pthreads so will probably only
> work if your perl was compiled with threading enabled,
> check with:
>
> % perl -V:usethreads
>
> You are welcome to try using the module with non-threaded
> perls (perhaps -D_REENTRANT alone would work) but expect
> problems. On my Linux box it hangs during intialization
> without threads but if can be made to work let me know.

This isn't correct any more. Ever since 2.2.0 (or 2.2.0-pre4 to be
precise), the C ECI implementation (libecasoundc) has been standalone.
Instead of using threads it forks a new ecasound process on the background
and uses it to execute ECI commands. So perl 'usethreads' shouldn't
be needed anymore.

The next step in streamlining the ECI support is to implement the whole
fork-ecasound-and-send-commands thing in Perl. This was done with Python,
and the implementation only took ~330 lines of code (compared to the
~1100 lines of the C implementation). The benefit is that you no longer
need to compile against libecasoundc at all, just install ecacontrol.py
and start using ECI apps.