RE: [ecasound] midi control changes from a midi file?

Subject: RE: [ecasound] midi control changes from a midi file?
From: Stuart Allie (allies_AT_hydstra.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 03:53:30 EEST

> [...]
> > without any problem, but I don't know how to get the
> control changes *in a
> > file* to be sent to or received by ecasound at the correct
> time. I guess I
> > can use something like pmidi to play the file to a virtual
> midi device and
> > have ecasound listen to that device, but how could I
> guarantee that the midi
> > messages would start in sync with the rest of ecasound?
>
> Yep, this is the best approach. To start ecasound and
> pmidi/or-some-other-sequencer in sync, you either have to use
> MIDI (MMC)
> or the new JACK transport stuff. I don't know about the
> current status of
> Linux sequencer support for these features, but I suspect they are at
> least on the todo-list.

Okay, so if I wait for a while longer, MMC might solve the problem for me.

Actually, I have developed a sort-of-workaround. I wrote some code that
reads a midi file and extracts the control change mesasges, and writes them
out as a list of values suitable for -klg: use. It's a bit of a hack, but it
works for now :)

BTW, whatever happened to ecaenvelopator(?) - now that I'm using ecasound
regularly, that would be a useful tool.

> > If this isn't possible with the current ecasound, can I
> make a request for a
> > development item as follows:
> > "add option to -km to read command change messages from a
> midi file rather
> > than a device."
>
> This basicly means that I'd have to implement a mini-sequencer inside
> ecasound to read and interpret MIDI-files and to sequence the
> events to
> the audio timeline. I've certainly considered this (it'd be
> great to play
> MIDI-tracks alongside audio!), but as it is such a big task,
> I'll probably
> never have the time to do it. If someone else has the time and energy,
> feel free to go ahead! :)

Well, I've been thinking abut this for a while, so maybe I will have to stop
just thinking and start working!

Thanks Kai. I'm now using ecasound every day as my main recording tool and
it's fantastic.

Stuart