Re: [ecasound] midi control changes from a midi file?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] midi control changes from a midi file?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2003 - 21:24:57 EEST

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Stuart Allie wrote:

> I'm ussing ecasound for multitrack recording with lots of audio tracks and
> one or two midi tracks (files). One thing i'd like to be able to do is to
> use the control change messages that are embedded in the midi file to
> control effects in ecasound via -km.
[...]
> without any problem, but I don't know how to get the control changes *in a
> file* to be sent to or received by ecasound at the correct time. I guess I
> can use something like pmidi to play the file to a virtual midi device and
> have ecasound listen to that device, but how could I guarantee that the midi
> messages would start in sync with the rest of ecasound?

Yep, this is the best approach. To start ecasound and
pmidi/or-some-other-sequencer in sync, you either have to use MIDI (MMC)
or the new JACK transport stuff. I don't know about the current status of
Linux sequencer support for these features, but I suspect they are at
least on the todo-list.

> If this isn't possible with the current ecasound, can I make a request for a
> development item as follows:
> "add option to -km to read command change messages from a midi file rather
> than a device."

This basicly means that I'd have to implement a mini-sequencer inside
ecasound to read and interpret MIDI-files and to sequence the events to
the audio timeline. I've certainly considered this (it'd be great to play
MIDI-tracks alongside audio!), but as it is such a big task, I'll probably
never have the time to do it. If someone else has the time and energy,
feel free to go ahead! :)