Re: [ecasound] Question about multichannel sound cards

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Question about multichannel sound cards
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 00:44:54 EEST

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Luis Pablo Gasparotto wrote:

> What should I do to play different wave files to different soundcard channels?

ecasound \
 -f:16,1,44100 \
 -a:1 -i foo1.wav \
 -a:2 -i foo2.wav -erc:1,2 -eac:0,1 \
 -a:3 -i foo3.wav -erc:1,3 -eac:0,1 \
 -a:4 -i foo4.wav -erc:1,4 -eac:0,1 \
 -a:1,2,3,4 -f:16,4,44100 -o alsa,default

... opens the soundcard in 4ch mode and writes each of the files to
different channels. The -eac is needed to mute the first channel after
copying. Also, you probably need to add -ea:400 to each chain to normalize
the output volume level.

Btw; having to add the -ea:400 is one annoyance I'd really like
     to get rid of, but unfortunately changing the way ecasound
     downmixes multiple chains would break way too many existing
     chainsetups. I've been thinking about adding a new mode
     (-z:sumdownmix?) that would select a JACK style mode where
     inputs are just summed together without division (introduces
     risk of clipping, but is closer to how analog mixers work
     and thus possible more intuitive for users).